School Choice Update:
With the application window for Charleston County School District’s School Choice program for the 2021-2022 school year scheduled to begin January 26, 2021, this is important information for any virtual learning option student (CCSD or otherwise) who wishes to apply to attend one of the following schools for the 2021-22 school year:
- Academic Magnet High School
- Buist Academy
- Burke High School AP Academy
- Early College High School
- E.B. Ellington Advanced Studies
- Haut Gap Advanced Academics
- St. Andrew’s School of Math and Science
The schools listed above have academic eligibility criteria for applicants, with the most widely used being MAP Reading and MAP Math assessment scores. Students will take the MAP assessments at school during the winter testing period from December 1-16, 2020. CCSD 10th and 11th grade applicants to Academic Magnet High School will receive notification for In-Person MAP testing opportunities in February-March 2021.
For reasons of test security and score integrity, all students who wish to apply to attend one of the seven schools listed above must take MAP Reading and MAP Math IN-PERSON at the school in which they are enrolled. This requirement applies to all students, those currently attending school in-person and students who are learning through remote/virtual from home. Non-CCSD students will also be required to take MAP in-person. Please note that retesting will not be allowed for winter MAP.
- In-person CCSD students do not require any action as they will take MAP tests the same as in normal years (in-person at their school during the school day).
- Remote/virtual CCSD students who wish to apply to attend any one of the seven schools listed above will be required to test at school, in-person. Schools will develop testing schedules during school hours and after school hours. Information on arranging to test is available on this form.
If you have questions about Charleston County School District and school options, please feel free to contact the CCSD Office of School Choice at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Choice in Charleston County
Each school-aged child in Charleston County is assigned to a neighborhood school based on grade level and home address. In addition, CCSD offers specialized programs, magnet, and charter schools.
For general questions about School Choice, call 843-937-6582.