Gifted and Talented - Academic
Director of Instructional Programs
Gifted and Talented Instructional Programs
75 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Elizabeth McLaurin Uptegrove
Instructional Program Coordinator
Gifted & Talented | Magnet & Choice
75 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
843-402-7836 (p)843-937-6484 (p)
The CCSD Gifted and Talented Department serves students who are identified as ACADEMICALLY gifted and talented. If you have questions about the identification and service of students who are ARTISTICALLY gifted and talented, please visit the CCSD Visual and Performing Arts page.
Second Grade Testing Results
Student results for both the CogAT and Iowa will be sent home in the first two weeks of January 2022.
Secondary Nomination Testing
Nomination testing for grades 6-12 has ended. Student results will be available in January. Parents will receive a letter that will indicate if their student met the criteria for being identified as Gifted and Talented. Please contact Flashette Johnson, Secondary GT Lead Teacher, if you have any questions/concerns.
CogAT Nomination Testing, December 1-17, 2021
Students in grades 3-5, who have NOT YET been identified as gifted and were nominated for testing, will take the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT). If your child was nominated, you will receive a letter with specific details from your child’s school. Student results will be distributed in January.
Fall and Spring MAP Scores (Reading and Math) are continuously monitored as part of the gifted identification process (Dimension B - Achievement). If your child was partially identified - in need of Dimension B or C, they may have achieved gifted and talented identification through their MAP scores. They will receive this notification along with the Performance Task Assessment score report distribution.
Important Notes about Gifted Identification
Students need to meet the criteria for gifted identification in 2 of the 3 Dimensions (A, B, or C). Once a child meets two dimensions, their identification will remain with them throughout their K-12 education in South Carolina public schools. Future non-qualifying scores will not impact their identification.
Gifted and Talented
Gifted and Talented fosters in each student a desire for excellence, compassion for others, and a sense of individual responsibility to self, the school, the community and a changing society.
How We Directly Support Schools
- Challenge and stimulate the Academically Gifted and Talented student.
- Assist in delivering a teaching approach that enriches and accelerates the learning of core content according to the state’s curriculum standards
- Provide on-going professional development in gifted and talented curriculum and teaching strategies
- Provide support (mentoring, PD) for teachers, administrators, parents, and the communities of CCSD
Our Core Services
- Identifying and placing all CCSD academically Gifted and Talented students in grades 3-12 according to the mandated specifications of the Education Improvement Act of South Carolina (Regulation 43-220)
- Providing each Gifted and Talented child opportunities for intellectual stimulation through group interaction with others of similar academic abilities and a curriculum of experiences and activities outside the limits of the regular classroom
- Empowering each gifted child to recognize and fully utilize his or her specific unique talents and to strive for excellence while contributing to self and others
Gifted and Talented Office
St. Andrews Campus
721 Wappoo Road
Charleston, SC 29407
Call us at (843) 402-7836. Office Fax: (843) 402-7835
Elizabeth Uptegrove, Gifted and Talented Coordinator
Karen Reed, Gifted and Talented Lead Teacher
Jennifer McDuffie, Gifted and Talented Lead Teacher
Flashette Johnson, Gifted and Talented Secondary Lead Teacher