South Carolina College-and Career-Ready Assessments (SC READY)
Overview of SC READY
The South Carolina College- and Career-Ready Assessments (SC READY) program is a statewide assessment in English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics administered to students in grades 3–8.
Online Testing Requirements
The Education Accountability Act (EAA) requires testing to be administered online in grades three through eight. However, a legislative proviso allows districts or individual public charter schools to request a waiver to test on paper. In addition, paper-based testing is available for students with disabilities who cannot take online assessments due to their disabilities as specified in their IEP or 504 plans, and for multilingual learners (MLs) if specified in their Individualized Language Acquisition Plan (ILAP) (formerly known as an EL Accommodation Plan). For additional information on waivers allowing paper testing, be sure to refer to the SCDE October 27, 2020 waiver memorandum and the Waiver Request Procedures and Schedule.
Testing Window for 2020-2021
On March 23, 2021, the SC READY testing window was updated from the last 20 days of each district’s instructional calendar, to the last 30 days of each district’s instructional calendar. The testing window will open on April 15.
The updated 30-day testing window is in effect for all districts; no waiver is required. Districts that already received a waiver for a testing window longer than 30 days still have any additional days granted by the waiver. Refer to the SCDE October 27, 2020 waiver memorandum and the memorandum attachment for additional information.
When planning testing schedules, DTCs are advised to review the TAM sections on Test Dates and Testing Hours, Breaks, and Student Activities During Testing. DTCs should also keep the following in mind:
- A district that receives a waiver for paper testing may do so in the first 20 days of their 30-day testing window, and in any additional days granted by waiver prior to that window.
- ALL paper testing must be completed by the 20th day of the district’s 30-day window.
- ALL answer documents containing students’ responses must be shipped overnight to the contractor within three days of the completion paper testing but shipped no later than June 14 for arrival on June 15.
- Following from the South Carolina “Read to Succeed” Act, Preliminary Grade 3 Reading Rosters are provided to assist districts in identifying third-grade students who might need to attend summer reading programs and/or students who might need to be retained. The rosters are available on an accelerated schedule in order to support timely decision-making at the end of the year. The rosters will be posted within three business days of submission of online tests. For paper/pencil testers, the rosters will be posted within six business days of receipt of the answer documents by the contractor. In order to be included in this accelerated reporting schedule, ELA answer documents must be sent overnight by June 4, for DRC to receive by June 7. In order to support this accelerated reporting schedule, it is highly recommended that all grade 3 ELA tests be administered as early as possible in the testing window.
Additional tips and reminders for DTCs are provided under SC READY Spring 2021 Info for DTCs, STCs, and TAs.
Estimated Times for the SC READY Assessments
Grades ELA Session 1 ELA Session 2 Mathematics 3-8 1 hour, 40 minutes 1.5 hours 1.5 hours
*The SC READY assessments are not timed. The Office of Assessment is providing estimated times to assist with classroom scheduling. These estimations are calculated from the "Start" and "Stop" times collected during the spring 2019 test administration.
SC READY Key Dates for 2020-21
Please note that dates are subject to change.
Event Date New District Test Coordinator Orientation August 25, 2020
Technology Coordinator Training
September 10, 2020 School Testing Date Survey to Districts January 4, 2020 - February 12, 2021 Precode Print File Due to SCDE November 30, 2020 – January 14, 2021 Precode Update File Due to SCDE February 22, 2021– March 1, 2021 DRC INSIGHT Ordering Window January 4-25, 2021 TAMs Posted to DRC INSIGHT Portal By February 8, 2021 TAMs Delivered to Districts February 16, 2021
Pretest Workshop Webinar
February 25, 2021 STC/TA Training Tool Available TBD Inform parents of testing schedule, testing policies, and procedures March-April Schedule and conduct training sessions for School Test Coordinators (STCs), Test Administrators (TAs), and Monitors March-April Test Management Available March 30, 2021 Secure Materials Delivered to Districts March 30, 2021 Additional Materials Window March 30, 2021-June 23, 2021 Online Testing Window* Last 30 days of school as determined by the district's instructional calendar.
Paper Testing Window*
First 20 days of each district's 30-day testing window as determined by the district's instructional calendar.
Grade 3 ELA Accelerated Reporting (Paper Testing) ELA answer documents must be shipped overnight by June 4 and received by DRC by June 7. Grade 3 ELA Accelerated Reporting (Online Testing) Accelerated reporting is available across the testing window. Deadline for Scorable Materials Return All scorable materials must be shipped overnight within 3 school days of the completion of testing, but no later than June 14., 2021 Deadline for Returning All Other Scorable Materials June 28, 2021 Deadline for Returning All Other Materials (Paper) Ship by June 14 for DRC to receive by June 17, 2021 Deadline for Returning All Other Materials (Online) Ship within 3 days of completion of testing and no later than June 28, 2021
Data Files, ISRs, and Rosters Posted to DRC INSIGHT Portal
August 9, 2021
Districts receive paper copies of ISRs and student labels
August 17, 2021
*Refer to information under Testing Window for 2020-2021 and the Online Testing Requirements for additional information.
South Carolina Academic Standards
SC READY Assessment items measure student performance on the South Carolina College-and Career-Ready Standards. SC READY English language arts and mathematics items are aligned with the 2015 South Carolina College- and Career-Ready Standards for English Language Arts and the 2015 South Carolina College- and Career-Ready Standards for Mathematics.
The SC READY test items are aligned to the standards for each subject and grade level. Standards specify what schools are expected to teach and what students are expected to learn. Academic standards also include indicators that are statements of the specific cognitive processes and the content knowledge and skills that students must demonstrate to meet the grade-level standards. SC READY test items are written to assess the content knowledge and skills described in the academic standards and indicators.
SC READY Performance Level Scale Score Cuts
ELA Vertical Scale Score Ranges
Grade Does Not Meet Approaches Meets Exceeds 3 100-358 359-451 452-539 540-825 4 100-418 419-508 509-592 593-850 5 100-449 450-557 558-652 653-875 6 100-454 455-575 576-667 668-900 7 100-511 512-614 615-704 705-925 8 100-537 538-642 643-737 738-950
Mathematics Vertical Scale Score Ranges
Grade Does Not Meet Approaches Meets Exceeds 3 100-359 360-437 438-543 544-825 4 100-401 402-481 482-562 563-850 5 100-447 448-535 536-621 622-875 6 100-453 454-542 543-627 628-900 7 100-487 488-577 578-649 650-925 8 100-526 527-614 615-683 684-950
Information concerning the Grade 3 standard setting is provided in the 2017 SC READY Grade 3 Reading Standard Setting Report (685 Kb PDF).
- SC READY Math and ELA Test Data Review Reports
The Office of Assessment conducted a series of committee meetings composed of district-level curriculum experts to review the item data beginning with the spring 2016 SC READY assessments. The data review report presents the findings of the review committees.
2019 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 3-4 (181 Kb PDF)
2019 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 5-6 (240 Kb PDF)
2019 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 7-8 (218 Kb PDF)
2018 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 3-5 (107 Kb PDF)
2018 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 6-8 (100 Kb PDF)
2017 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 3-5 (284 Kb PDF)
2017 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 6-8 (242 Kb PDF)
2016 SC READY Math Test Data Review for Grades 3-8 (1.01 Mb PDF)
2019 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Text Dependent Analysis (270 Kb PDF)
2019 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Grades 3-5 (179 Kb PDF)
2019 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Grades 6-8 (226 Kb PDF)
2018 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Grades 3-5 (107 Kb PDF)
2018 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Grades 6-8 (10 Kb PDF)
2017 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Grades 3-5 (267 Kb PDF)
2017 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Grades 6-8 (266 Kb PDF)
2016 SC READY ELA Test Data Review for Grades 3-8 (89 Kb PDF)
- Types of Test Items
For further information, please see the table on the SC READY Types of Test Items page.
- ELA and mathematics tests contain test questions with varying degrees of difficulty.
- The ELA test consists of selected response and evidence=based selected response items. The ELA test also includes a Text-Dependent Analysis (TDA) item. The TDA item consists of a passage with a writing task related to the passage.
- The mathematics test contains multiple-choice, technology-enhanced, and multi-select items. Technology-enhanced items include items such as drag and drop, hot spot, drop down list, keypad input, and constructed-response (type in a number).
- Test Blueprints
The test blueprint for each subject specifies the total number of points on each grade-level test, as well as the approximate number of points per reporting category or domain. Reporting categories group similar standards within each content area. Each reporting category classifies a student’s performance as “Low,” “Middle,” or “High.” This classification is based on the subset of items that assesses the reporting category. The possible number of items for each reporting category can be found in the test blueprint.
- SC READY English Language Arts 3-5 Test Blueprint for 2020-21 (28 Kb PDF) and SC READY ELA Assessment Boundaries for Grades 3-5 (758 Kb PDF)
- SC READY English Language Arts 6-8 Test Blueprint for 2020-21 (28 Kb PDF) SC READY ELA Assessment Boundaries for Grades 6-8 (708 Kb PDF)
- SC READY Mathematics 3-5 Test Blueprint for 2020-21 (24 Kb PDF)
- SC READY Mathematics 6-8 Test Blueprint for 2020-21 (28 Kb PDF)
- Sample Questions, Tutorials, and Online Tools Training (OTT)
- Samples of test questions from previous years are available on the Quick Links page.
- Online Testing Video Tutorials, with step-by-step instructions on how to use the online testing system are available to districts on the DRC INSIGHT Portal. The Tutorials are under the Tutorial and Training section. Schools should review these tutorials with students in advance of testing
- The Online Tools Training (OTT) module on the DRC INSIGHT Portal simulates the testing environment and allows students to practice using the testing software and the tools available to students during testing, such as the highlighter, magnifier, and calculator. Schools should review the OTT with students in advance of testing. A DRC INSIGHT account is not needed to access the OTT.
- Writing Component
The writing prompt will be a “text-dependent analysis” (or TDA) item. This type of item requires that students read a piece of text or passage and draw upon that text for their written responses—e.g., support their responses with evidence from the text. The type of text that the students read and respond to for the TDA item may be drawn from different genres or modes, but the type of writing that the students produce is not mode-specific per se.
When completing the TDA item, students testing online and on paper are provided a copy of a writer's checklist to help them plan, write, and proofread their response, as well as scratch paper on which to write a rough draft of their TDA response.
The TDA item is scored with a holistic rubric that has a point range of 1 (lowest) to 4 (highest). To reflect the importance of student writing, the 1-4 point score on the TDA item is weighted by a factor of 2 for a maximum of 8 points. The maximum score on the TDA item and the associated scoring procedures were updated for 2018-19 in conjunction with corresponding changes in the test blueprint. For more information on how TDA scores are calculated, refer to Scoring the SC READY Text Dependent Analysis (TDA) Writing Prompt document (35 KB PDF).
Samples of TDA items with student responses are available along with additional information about TDA scoring guidelines.
- Calculator Requirements for SC READY Mathematics (Grades 6–8 Only)
The SC READY mathematics tests for grades 6, 7, and 8 will be divided into two sections to be administered in one day. The first section is a "calculator" section; the second is a “no calculator” section.
Students are allowed to use calculators only during the calculator section of the grades 6–8 mathematics tests. Calculators are not permitted during the grades 3–5 mathematics tests or during the “no calculator” section of the grades 6–8 mathematics tests. For further information, please review the SC READY and SCPASS Requirements for Calculator Use in 2020-21 (39 Kb PDF).
- SC READY Spring 2019 Score Report User's Guide
The SC READY Score Report User's Guide describes the Individual Student Report and other types of score reports generated for SC READY.
- SC READY Info for DTCs, STCs, and TAs
SC READY Information and documents for District Test Coordinators, School Test Coordinators, and Test Administrators.