The mission of West Ashley Advanced Studies Magnet’s Counseling Department is to provide a comprehensive counseling program that strives to meet the academic, personal/social and career needs of every student. Through the school counseling program, all students are challenged to explore their passions, interests, and talents; acquiring the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed to reach their full academic and personal potential to become better students, responsible citizens, productive workers, and lifelong learners.
School Counseling Program vision
The vision of the West Ashley Advanced Studies Magnet School counseling program is that all students respect their peers, adults, and themselves. They appreciate each others differences. They realize that they have a right to be respected. The students of WAASM School will use problem solving skills and critical thinking skills to ensure that they are college and career ready, and evolving in to productive citizens in their community.
School Counseling Program Beliefs
- All students matter regardless of ethnicity, cultural or racial differences, or special needs
- All students deserve to be members of a school community that is culturally compassionate, and celebrates their unique qualities.
- All students have the ability to set and achieve academic goals, social and emotional
- All students are different and learn at their own pace.
- The school counselor will advocate for all students.
- The school counselor will provide interventions to students when academic success becomes a challenge.
- The school counselor will provide interventions to students whose social and emotional well - being affects student learning.