The mission of West Ashley Advanced Studies Magnet’s Counseling Department is to provide a comprehensive counseling program that strives to meet the academic, personal/social and career needs of every student. Through the school counseling program, all students are challenged to explore their passions, interests, and talents; acquiring the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed to reach their full academic and personal potential to become better students, responsible citizens, productive workers, and lifelong learners.
School Counseling Program vision
The vision of the West Ashley Advanced Studies Magnet School counseling program is that all students respect their peers, adults, and themselves. They appreciate each others differences. They realize that they have a right to be respected. The students of WAASM School will use problem solving skills and critical thinking skills to ensure that they are college and career ready, and evolving in to productive citizens in their community.
School Counseling Program Beliefs
- All students matter regardless of ethnicity, cultural or racial differences, or special needs
- All students deserve to be members of a school community that is culturally compassionate, and celebrates their unique qualities.
- All students have the ability to set and achieve academic goals, social and emotional
- All students are different and learn at their own pace.
- The school counselor will advocate for all students.
- The school counselor will provide interventions to students when academic success becomes a challenge.
- The school counselor will provide interventions to students whose social and emotional well - being affects student learning.
Why Middle School Counselors?
Middle school students are characterized by rapid physical growth, curiosity about their world and an emerging self-identity. Middle school counselors have an impact on these years by implementing a school counseling program and collaborating with school staff, parents and the community to create a safe, respectful learning environment whereby young adolescents can maximize personal and academic achievement. Middle school counselors enhance the learning process and promote academic, career and social/emotional development. School counseling programs are essential for students to achieve optimal personal growth, acquire positive social skills and values, set informed career goals and realize full academic potential to become productive, contributing members of the world community. Middle school counselors hold a master’s degree and required state certification in school counseling. Maintaining certification includes ongoing professional development to stay current with education reform and challenges facing today’s students. Professional association membership enhances the school counselor’s knowledge and effectiveness.