STUDENT DRESS CODE AND UNIFORM POLICY
CCSD STUDENT DRESS CODE Students are responsible for dressing in an appropriate manner at all times while on a school campus or while involved in a school or district sponsored event/activity. Wearing appropriate attire promotes a positive influence on the school climate. In addition to clothing, hats, and shoes, student attire includes any jewelry, emblem, badge, symbol, sign, comment, or other items worn or displayed by an individual. Each school principal has the discretion to determine appropriate or inappropriate attire. Please refer to your school’s dress code for further clarification and site-specific guidelines.
Guidelines for Attire
- Clothing is to be worn appropriately and in the manner for which it was designed.
- Pants shall be worn at waist level.
- Undergarments shall not be exposed at any time.
- Clothing shall not reveal bare skin between upper chest and mid thigh.
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses shall be of adequate length to assure modesty.
- Hats shall not be worn in school (unless approved for health or religious reasons).
- Shoes shall be worn at all times.
- Clothing or other attire with words or images depicting or relating to tobacco, drugs, or alcohol
- Clothing or other attire displaying inflammatory, suggestive, racial, or other inappropriate writing, advertisement, or artwork
- Clothing or other attire displaying profanity, obscenity, violence, weapons, symbols of hate, or offensive content
- Clothing, jewelry, accessories, and/or manner of grooming that indicates or implies gang membership or affiliation
- Loungewear, pajamas, and bedroom slippers
- Shirts, tops, or dresses that are backless, strapless, halter-style, cut-out, bare-shouldered, or spaghetti straps
- Extreme clothing or other attire that would interfere with the learning process, cause a disruption of the educational environment, or be a health or safety hazard
Students found to be in violation of the dress code will be subject to disciplinary action.
Burke High School seeks to maintain a safe and orderly environment for learning. To assist in accomplishing this goal, a school uniform policy has been established along with the CCSD Dress Code Policy. All students are expected to adhere to the school uniform policy daily starting the first day of school. The Burke High School uniform consists of the following:
- STUDENTS MAY WEAR KHAKI-STYLE PANTS (TAN, BLUE, BLACK, OR GRAY-COLORED
BOTTOMS); DRESSES, SKIRTS, PANTS, OR SHORTS MUST BE OF ADEQUATE LENGTH TO
ENSURE MODESTY. IF PANTS ARE DISTRESSED OR HAVE HOLES, LEGGINGS OR TIGHTS
MUST BE WORN UNDERNEATH. AT NO TIME SHOULD STUDENTS EXPOSE
UNDERGARMENTS OR BARE SKIN.
- STUDENTS MAY WEAR TAN/BEIGE, BLUE, BLACK, OR GRAY-COLORED SHIRTS
WITH/WITHOUT BURKE LOGOS OR INSIGNIAS. STUDENTS MAY NOT WEAR MIDRIFFS OR
TOPS/SHIRTS THAT EXPOSE THEIR BODY OR DISPLAY ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, AND/OR
DRUG MESSAGES OR PARAPHERNALIA.
- HATS, HOODIES, BANDANAS, DURAGS, HAIR BONNETTS, AND SKI-MASKS SHOULD NOT
BE WORN ON CAMPUS DURING THE INSTRUCTIONAL DAY.
All students are subject to uniform inspections daily as deemed necessary by the school administration. Failure to comply with the student dress code and uniform expectations will result in consequences aligned with CCSD’s Progressive Discipline Plan.