BUIST ACADEMY 2019-2020 INFORMATION
Criteria for admission to Kindergarten and Grades 1 – 8:
A. Age requirements for admission during the 2019-2020 academic year:
- A child must be 5 on or before September 1, 2019, to be admitted to kindergarten.
- A child must be 6 on or before September 1, 2019, to be admitted to first grade.
B. A child must have academic success (cumulative B-average) in all core academic subjects. The academic subjects include reading, language arts, math, science, social studies or their equivalents, e.g. English. The child cannot be repeating the grade-level (K–8) for which he/she is applying for or enrolled, or have failed any subject areas.
Applicants are randomly ordered for selection, and a percentage of children are notified for testing.
- A child must be tested by a certified CCSD school psychologist and obtain a minimum national percentile rank of 65 or above.
- Private evaluations or testing will not be considered for admission.
- There is no provision for a student to be retested on the kindergarten admissions test.
- Overall test results will be shared with students' families, but because the sole purpose of this assessment is to screen students for Buist admission, no detailed feedback or educational recommendations will be provided.
- The test scores for kindergarten children who have a qualifying test score and are on the waiting list are valid for one year.
D. Grades 1 – 8
After kindergarten, we will use your child’s most recent achievement test score results and grades to make selection decisions. If your child does not have any test scores, we will then test your child.
- A child must attain a minimum national percentile rank of 75 on both the reading and mathematics tests of the most recent edition of a national standardized, norm-referenced achievement test (MAP). The most recent scores (taken within a year) available will be used for eligibility. If the child does not have any test scores, we will then test your child.
- There is no provision for a student to be retested if they do not have the qualifying percentiles.
2. Selection for acceptance:
The following selection process was reviewed and approved by the Charleston County School
District Board of Trustees. Please see the following selection categories.
- County - 13 seats of the total admissions shall be Sibling - 13 seats of the total admissions shall be allocated to qualified siblings of students attending Buist Academy
- District 20 - 13 seats of the total admissions shall be allocated to qualified students whose primary residence is in District 20 (using the CCSD GIS Look-up Tool) at the time of acceptance
- Other Designated - 13 seats of the total admissions shall be allocated to qualified students whose primary residence is located in a CCSD identified zone allocated to district students who qualify
Note: Applicants can be in more than one category. Applicants are only selected from one of the above categories. In the event names are depleted from the Sibling, District 20 or Other designated lists, applicants will be selected from the County list.
2. Students must be Charleston County residents by August of the school year they are applying for entrance and each year after acceptance.
3. Students in grades 1-8 are expected to enroll at the beginning of the school year, if accepted during the summer; or within 10 days of notification, if accepted during the school year.
4. If a child with a sibling on the waiting list enrolls in Buist, and if the child has filled out an online application, the sibling can then be added to the end of the existing sibling waiting list.
5. If the sibling of a waiting list applicant graduates or is withdrawn for any reason, the applicant is removed from the sibling waiting list.
6. Waiting lists do not carry over each year. All applicants must reapply every year to be considered for enrollment.
7. Students accepted from the District 20 list must maintain their primary residence in District 20 in order to continue their enrollment in Buist Academy.
8. Kindergarten and 4th grade are the only grade-levels with openings each year. All other grade-level openings vary based on vacancies.
Please call 843-724-7750, if you have general questions regarding admission, tours and enrollment.
**This information has not been updated for the 2020-2021 school year**