• Luis Torres Clavell - Translation Services

  • When asked about his childhood, Luis Torres closed his eyes and smiled. He described it as paradise. Mayaguez, situated at the edge of the ocean, on a disputed bay where it is assumed Christopher Columbus landed, is the small town in Puerto Rico that he called home. He learned Spanish there, a language that would serve him well in life and in his career. Today, Torres works as an interpreter/translator in Charleston County School District’s Office of Translation Services.

    Torres was growing up in New Jersey where the only language he knew was English. At the age of seven, Torres’ parents returned to Puerto Rico, where he would get a crash course in Spanish. At that time, only business people spoke English on the island. The elementary school he enrolled in created a bilingual program just for Torres and his brother to learn Spanish.

    “Spanish was probably easier for me to learn at that age because I was immersed in it,” said Torres. “My mother spoke English, but my father only spoke Spanish. So once in Puerto Rico, we all slipped into speaking only Spanish.”

    The family lived on Torres’ grandfather’s property; fishing was their livelihood. They rose every day at 3:00 a.m. to set the fishing nets. By 6:00 a.m., they pulled the catch. Every morning the fish were doled out to the less fortunate who lived on and around the property.

    “Some of these families didn’t have money and couldn’t survive on their own,” explained Torres. “We would go door to door passing out the fish. My grandfather insisted that the next in line would be the elderly, and then pregnant females and mothers with young children. The rest went to our family and to the market.”

    The market was about a 30-minute ride from home and served three of the biggest tuna factories in the United States at the time. At that time, according to Torres, Puerto Rico produced 83 percent of all the tuna consumed in the United States.

    “Once the catch was distributed, all of the children went back to the house and cleaned up, ate breakfast, and went to school,” said Torres. “Puerto Rico still conformed to the Spanish way of life. At 2:00 p.m., school ended and the siesta started. All business was put on hold. Literally, everyone took that time to eat a snack or lunch, and sleep or rest until 4:00 p.m. Then back to work until 6:00 p.m.”

    Mostly nuns, who were not keen on left-handed individuals, ran the Catholic school Torres attended. Torres quickly learned to become ambidextrous because religious beliefs caused the devout to frown upon the use of the left hand.

    “What else do you do,” asked Torres. “You conform. The nuns would use their ruler very efficiently if you did not.”

    Torres was a very bright student, excelling easily in academics. He skipped the sixth grade and was sent to a brand new middle school for gifted and talented students. It was there he learned he had a photographic memory, which boosted his success as a student. Again, he skipped a grade and sailed through all of his classes with top scores, especially in science and history, his favorite subjects.

    In 11th grade, Torres started taking classes at a nearby college while simultaneously completing high school. He was taking physics and astrophysics and hoped to receive a government-funded scholarship to complete his studies. The scholarship was a lottery and not based on economic need. Unfortunately for Torres, his name was not drawn.

    “At the time, we had become coffee farmers,” said Torres. “We lived way up in a mountain. It was a 30-minute walk to the school bus, then a 45-minute ride to the bottom of the mountain, and a twenty-minute ride to school. Then reverse that at the end of the day. We were starting the farm so we had no workers, we had to do it all ourselves.”

    Torres didn’t have the means to finish college and was too young to actually find a job or be hired at 17 years old. He chose to join the Franciscan Monks and became a seminarist apprentice.

    Torres went to seminary for almost a year and a half. He went to college for theology, divinity, and medical majors, but returned home to care for his ailing mother. As she healed, he planned his next step in life. He decided to join the military.

    Torres had just turned 18 and was not only navigating the difficulties of Navy boot camp but also relearning 12 years of forgotten English. It was in boot camp that he learned the difference between chic’s and chicks. More importantly, in just 20 years, Torres would serve in more roles and on more missions than one could fathom.

    Torres’ dreams of becoming an astronaut were deflated when he learned his body could not handle the changes in pressure. However, his commanders saw his talent and he became a nuclear electronics technician. His first set of orders was to serve on the first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus. The sub was decommissioned eight months into his tour and Torres walked across the pier to a surface ship called the Charles P. Cecil, known for breaking the blockade during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

    On one mission, Torres helped to retrieve the American ambassador from Haiti during a time when the government there was in dire turmoil. The dangerous missions continued into Ethiopia, Somalia, and areas of Central America.

    The Charles P. Cecil was decommissioned and Torres was sent to dismantle the USS Nautilus. Upon completion, he became part of the crew of the USS Spiegel Grove out of Little Creek, Virginia. The tour consisted of testing prototypes such as new versions of combat vehicles and experimental weapons.

    “That was a good tour where we got to see the failures and the wins,” said Torres. “That ship is now a reef in the gulf.”

    Torres’ career took many twists and turns from Boston, back to Little Creek to Grenada, where he became a communicator for special operations. Torres served as a translator and interpreter for Special Forces, the FBI, and the CIA, all while guarding prisoners on his ship.

    The prisoners were eventually dropped off at Guantanamo Bay and a week later Torres arrived in Beirut, Lebanon.

    It was 1983 and Torres was still serving as a communicator for special operations, and as a photographer. He was there when a suicide bomber broke through the front security point on base and drove a truck with an estimated 2100 pounds of explosives into the front of the building used as barracks. The lives of 241 marines, sailors, contractors, and foreign military members were lost.

    “It was a sad time,” said Torres. “We watched the explosion and were basically the first people on the scene to provide first aid to those that could be taken care of.”

    There were enjoyable times for Torres as well. He met dozens of famous people and dignitaries when they came to visit the troops. His experiences in the military also mapped out his future career.

    Torres is a natural educator. He taught Spanish to the troops on the ship he served. He was eventually sent to San Diego for electronics engineering school where accelerated engineering courses were taught over a six-month period. He returned to Great Lakes and taught electronics for five years. Only the best of the best completed it successfully.

    “I was teaching in six weeks what the average college would teach over the course of several years,” said Torres. “My students really had to apply themselves and work very hard. There was a high attrition rate because of the difficulty of the material being taught. It was considered one of the hardest schools.”

    The last leg of his military career placed Torres in the repair division as a Class A micro-miniature repairman. He received his accreditation and certification to work as a micro-surgeon for microchips.

    “Some of the microchips that the military uses cost hundreds of thousands of dollars,” said Torres. “As repair technicians, my colleagues and I saved the military millions of dollars.”

    Torres made his way to South Carolina by way of the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek where he calibrated rockets and torpedoes, as well as communication equipment. He also taught loading and lading of weapons and explosives.

    “Once I officially retired, we stayed in South Carolina mostly because my wife said she didn’t want our children to grow up as military brats,” said Torres. “Also, Charleston looks so much like my wife’s hometown in Puerto Rico, called Carolina,     pronounced Ca-ro-lee-na in Spanish. We have been here now for 24 years.”

    Torres decided to use his free time as a volunteer at his children’s schools, and he particularly enjoyed being a guest speaker in Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day events and giving military-themed lectures and speeches to various community and civic organizations. He even worked as a substitute teacher.

    Torres’ experience in the classroom later landed him a position instructing Border Patrol agents at the old Navy Base and participating in drills as a role player.

    Not done ensuring his career was a diverse one, Torres went into banking, handling foreign accounts for Portuguese, Spanish, and French-speaking clients.

    He carried those talents into the evening by teaching Spanish to Americans and English to immigrants.

    Then Torres went to work for the third-largest defense contractor in the world as a designer in electronic communications.

    “I designed communications suites and satellites,” said Torres. “There are a little over 25 U.S. Navy Ships, vehicles, and buildings whose suites cabling and wiring connectivity were designed by me.”

    There were a few other career stops along the way before Torres joined the CCSD translation services team.

    “It is rewarding and exciting in a way,” said Torres. “My position as a translator/interpreter is exciting because I like working with and for children. Most importantly, it is exciting because I like helping people. That is the reason I became a monk. To see the look of relief on a person’s face is rewarding. Knowing that the person is thinking ‘someone understands me’, that alone is worth it.”

    Angela Rush, Director of the Office of Translation & Interpretation Services (OTIS) said Torres is a valued member of her team.

    “Mr. Torres is an amazing person,” said Rush. “He works tirelessly to provide impeccable services to families and his professionalism and passion for perfection is seen daily in his work ethic.” 

    OTIS provides language support to assist in the communication of academic information between schools and parents to increase engagement in school activities and district-wide functions. This full range of language services is designed to help in CCSD's mission of providing a comprehensive educational experience to prepare students for college, career, and life. 

    “Our work is important because, as an instructor, or teacher, it is a struggle to communicate with parents that don’t speak your language,” said Torres. “It is a struggle for the parents to communicate and made even harder when you put the child, who speaks both languages, as an interpreter. That child is going to interpret only to their capacity. Our work is very necessary. As a military person, I can tell you that a lot of the hurt and wars happen because of a lack of communication. People couldn’t or don’t know how to talk to each other.”

    Torres said he foresees the department continuing to grow by leaps and bounds.

    “Every time a new program starts within a school or the district, needs for communication requests will grow,” said Torres. “My department will be called upon to not only understand a foreign language but the educational aspects of what is being communicated.”

    CCSD now employs bilingual secretaries in schools that are trained by OTIS.

    “The Spanish, Latino, and Brazilian populations in the Lowcountry continue to grow,” explained Torres. “I see us being an extremely productive group for many years to come.”

    “Mr. Torres has a kind and calm demeanor that helps to comfort families,” added Rush. “He uses his experiences to mentor others new to the field of translation and interpretation.”

    Torres looks back on his life and career with pride and appreciation.

    “The best part is that my wife has shared so much of this life with me,” said Torres. I am grateful for that. The only thing I always wanted to do is hang glide and be an astronaut, but that’s okay.”

  • En español

  • Cuando se le pregunta sobre su infancia, Luis Torres cierra los ojos y sonríe. La describió como un paraíso. Mayaguez, situada al borde del océano, en una bahía disputada donde se supone que desembarcó Cristóbal Colón, es la pequeña ciudad de Puerto Rico a la que llamó hogar. Allí aprendió el español, un idioma que le serviría en la vida y en su carrera. Hoy, Torres trabaja como intérprete/traductor en la Oficina de Servicios de Traducción del Distrito Escolar del Condado de Charleston.

    Torres creció en Nueva Jersey, donde el único idioma que conocía era el inglés. A los siete años, los padres de Torres regresaron a Puerto Rico, donde recibiría un curso intensivo de español. En aquella época, sólo los empresarios hablaban inglés en la isla. La escuela primaria en la que se matriculó creó un programa bilingüe sólo para que Torres y su hermano aprendieran español.

    "El español fue probablemente más fácil de aprender a esa edad porque estaba inmerso en él", dijo Torres. "Mi madre hablaba inglés, pero mi padre sólo hablaba español. Así que una vez en Puerto Rico, todos nos deslizamos a hablar sólo español".

    La familia vivía en la propiedad del abuelo de Torres; la pesca era su medio de vida. Se levantaban todos los días a las 3:00 de la mañana para tender las redes de pesca. A las 6:00 de la mañana, sacaban la pesca. Todas las mañanas repartían el pescado entre los menos afortunados que vivían en la propiedad y sus alrededores.

    "Algunas de estas familias no tenían dinero y no podían sobrevivir por sí mismas", explica Torres. "Íbamos de puerta en puerta repartiendo el pescado. Mi abuelo insistía en que los siguientes en la fila serían los ancianos, y luego las mujeres embarazadas y las madres con niños pequeños. El resto iba a nuestra familia y al mercado".

    El mercado estaba a unos 30 minutos de su casa y servía a tres de las mayores fábricas de atún de Estados Unidos en aquella época. En aquella época, según Torres, Puerto Rico producía el 83% de todo el atún que se consumía en Estados Unidos.

    "Una vez que se distribuyó la pesca, todos los niños volvieron a la casa y se asearon, desayunaron y fueron a la escuela", dijo Torres. "Puerto Rico todavía se ajustaba al modo de vida español. A las 2 de la tarde, la escuela terminaba y empezaba la siesta. Todos los negocios quedaban en suspenso. Literalmente, todo el mundo se tomaba ese tiempo para merendar o almorzar, y dormir o descansar hasta las 4:00 p.m. Luego se volvía a trabajar hasta las 6:00 p.m.

    La escuela católica a la que asistía Torres estaba dirigida en su mayoría por monjas, a las que no les gustaban los zurdos. Torres aprendió rápidamente a ser ambidiestro porque las creencias religiosas hacían que los devotos no vieran con buenos ojos el uso de la mano izquierda.

    "¿Qué más haces?", preguntó Torres. "Te conformas. Las monjas usarían su regla muy eficientemente si no lo hicieras".

    Torres era un alumno muy brillante, que sobresalía fácilmente en lo académico. Se saltó el sexto grado y fue enviado a una nueva escuela secundaria para alumnos superdotados y con talento. Allí aprendió que tenía memoria fotográfica, lo que aumentó su éxito como alumno. Una vez más, se saltó un curso y superó todas sus clases con las mejores notas, especialmente en ciencias e historia, sus asignaturas favoritas.

    En el 11º curso, Torres empezó a tomar clases en una universidad cercana mientras terminaba el instituto. Estaba cursando física y astrofísica y esperaba recibir una beca financiada por el gobierno para completar sus estudios. La beca se sorteaba y no se basaba en la necesidad económica. Por desgracia para Torres, su nombre no salió sorteado.

    "En aquella época, nos habíamos convertido en cafeteros", dice Torres. "Vivíamos en lo alto de una montaña. Eran 30 minutos a pie hasta el autobús escolar, luego 45 minutos hasta la base de la montaña y 20 minutos hasta la escuela. Y al final del día la inversión. Estábamos empezando la granja, así que no teníamos trabajadores, teníamos que hacerlo todo nosotros".

    Torres no tenía medios para terminar la universidad y era demasiado joven para encontrar un trabajo o ser contratado a los 17 años. Optó por ingresar en los monjes franciscanos y se convirtió en aprendiz de seminarista.

    Torres fue al seminario durante casi un año y medio, fue a la universidad para estudiar teología, divinidad y medicina, pero volvió a casa para cuidar de su madre enferma. Mientras ella se curaba, él planeó su siguiente paso en la vida. Decidió alistarse en el ejército.

    Torres acababa de cumplir 18 años y no sólo estaba sorteando las dificultades del campo de entrenamiento de la Marina, sino también volviendo a aprender 12 años de inglés olvidado. Fue en el campo de entrenamiento donde aprendió la diferencia entre chic's y chicks. Y lo que es más importante, en sólo 20 años, Torres serviría en más funciones y en más misiones de las que uno podría imaginar.

    Los sueños de Torres de convertirse en astronauta se desinflaron cuando supo que su cuerpo no podía soportar los cambios de presión. Sin embargo, sus comandantes vieron su talento y se convirtió en técnico de electrónica nuclear. Sus primeras órdenes fueron servir en el primer submarino nuclear, el USS Nautilus. El submarino fue dado de baja a los ocho meses de su servicio y Torres cruzó el muelle hasta un buque de superficie llamado Charles P. Cecil, conocido por romper el bloqueo durante la crisis de los misiles en Cuba.

    En una de las misiones, Torres ayudó a sacar al embajador estadounidense de Haití en un momento en el que el gobierno de ese país estaba sumido en una gran confusión. Las peligrosas misiones continuaron en Etiopía, Somalia y zonas de América Central.

    El Charles P. Cecil fue retirado del servicio y Torres fue enviado a desmantelar el USS Nautilus. Una vez terminado, pasó a formar parte de la tripulación del USS Spiegel Grove en Little Creek, Virginia. El recorrido consistió en probar prototipos como nuevas versiones de vehículos de combate y armas experimentales.

    "Fue una buena gira en la que pudimos ver los fracasos y las victorias", dijo Torres. "Ese barco es ahora un arrecife en el golfo".

    La carrera de Torres dio muchos giros, desde Boston, hasta Little Creek y Granada, donde se convirtió en comunicador de operaciones especiales. Torres sirvió como traductor e intérprete para las Fuerzas Especiales, el FBI y la CIA, todo ello mientras custodiaba prisioneros en su barco.

    Los prisioneros fueron finalmente dejados en Guantánamo y una semana después Torres llegó a Beirut, Líbano.

    Era 1983 y Torres seguía sirviendo como comunicador en operaciones especiales y como fotógrafo. Estaba allí cuando un terrorista suicida atravesó el punto de seguridad de la base y condujo un camión con unos 2100 kilos de explosivo hasta la parte delantera del edificio utilizado como cuartel. Se perdieron las vidas de 241 marines, marineros, contratistas y militares extranjeros.

    "Fue un momento triste", dijo Torres. "Vimos la explosión y fuimos básicamente los primeros en llegar al lugar de los hechos para prestar primeros auxilios a los que podían ser atendidos".

    También hubo momentos agradables para Torres. Conoció a docenas de personajes famosos y dignatarios cuando vinieron a visitar a las tropas. Sus experiencias en el ejército también trazaron su futura carrera.

    Torres es un educador nato. Enseñó español a las tropas del barco en el que sirvió. Finalmente fue enviado a San Diego para la escuela de ingeniería electrónica, donde se impartían cursos acelerados de ingeniería durante seis meses. Volvió a Great Lakes y enseñó electrónica durante cinco años. Sólo los mejores de los mejores lo completaron con éxito.

    "Enseñaba en seis semanas lo que una universidad media enseñaría a lo largo de varios años", dijo Torres. "Mis alumnos tenían que aplicarse y trabajar mucho. Había un alto índice de abandono debido a la dificultad del material que se enseñaba. Se consideraba una de las escuelas más difíciles".

    La última etapa de su carrera militar situó a Torres en la división de reparaciones como reparador de microminiaturas de clase A. Recibió su acreditación y certificación para trabajar como microcirujano de microchips.

    "Algunos de los microchips que utilizan los militares cuestan cientos de miles de dólares", dijo Torres. "Como técnicos de reparación, mis colegas y yo ahorramos al ejército millones de dólares".

    Torres llegó a Carolina del Sur a través de la Estación de Armas Navales de Goose Creek, donde calibró cohetes y torpedos, así como equipos de comunicación. También enseñó a cargar y embarcar armas y explosivos.

    "Una vez que me retiré oficialmente, nos quedamos en Carolina del Sur sobre todo porque mi esposa dijo que no quería que nuestros hijos crecieran como mocosos militares", dijo Torres. "Además, Charleston se parece mucho a la ciudad natal de mi mujer en Puerto Rico, llamada Carolina, que se pronuncia Ca-ro-lee-na en español. Llevamos aquí 24 años".

    Torres decidió emplear su tiempo libre como voluntario en las escuelas de sus hijos, y disfrutó especialmente como orador invitado en los actos del Día de los Veteranos y del Día de los Caídos, y dando conferencias y discursos de temática militar en diversas organizaciones comunitarias y cívicas. Incluso trabajó como maestro sustituto.

    La experiencia de Torres en el salón le valió más tarde un puesto para instruir a los agentes de la Patrulla Fronteriza en la antigua Base Naval y participar en simulacros como jugador de rol.

    Sin asegurarse de que su carrera fuera diversa, Torres se dedicó a la banca, manejando cuentas en el extranjero para clientes de habla portuguesa, española y francesa.

    Llevó esos talentos a la noche enseñando español a los estadounidenses e inglés a los inmigrantes.

    Después, Torres entró a trabajar en el tercer contratista de defensa del mundo como diseñador de comunicaciones electrónicas.

    "Diseñé suites de comunicaciones y satélites", dijo Torres. "Hay algo más de 25 buques, vehículos y edificios de la Armada de EE.UU. cuyas suites de cableado y conectividad fueron diseñadas por mí".

    Antes de incorporarse al equipo de servicios de traducción del CCSD, Torres hizo otras paradas en su carrera.

    "Es gratificante y emocionante en cierto modo", dijo Torres. "Mi puesto de traductor/intérprete es emocionante porque me gusta trabajar con y para los niños. Y lo que es más importante, es emocionante porque me gusta ayudar a la gente. Esa es la razón por la que me hice monje. Ver la expresión de alivio en la cara de una persona es gratificante. Saber que la persona está pensando 'alguien me entiende', sólo por eso merece la pena".

    Angela Rush, Directora de la Oficina de Servicios de Traducción e Interpretación (OTIS) dijo que Torres es un miembro valioso de su equipo.

    "El Sr. Torres es una persona increíble", dijo Rush. "Trabaja incansablemente para ofrecer servicios impecables a las familias y su profesionalidad y pasión por la perfección se ve a diario en su ética de trabajo". 

    OTIS proporciona apoyo lingüístico para ayudar en la comunicación de la información académica entre las escuelas y los padres para aumentar la participación en las actividades escolares y las funciones de todo el distrito. Esta gama completa de servicios lingüísticos está diseñada para ayudar en la misión de CCSD de proporcionar una experiencia educativa integral para preparar a los alumnos para la universidad, la carrera y la vida.

    "Nuestro trabajo es importante porque, como instructor o profesor, es difícil comunicarse con los padres que no hablan tu idioma", dijo Torres. "Es una lucha para que los padres se comuniquen y se hace aún más difícil cuando pones al niño, que habla ambos idiomas, como intérprete. Ese niño va a interpretar sólo a su capacidad. Nuestro trabajo es muy necesario. Como militar, puedo decirte que muchos de los daños y las guerras se producen por la falta de comunicación. La gente no puede o no sabe hablar entre sí".

    Torres dijo que prevé que el departamento siga creciendo a pasos agigantados.

    "Cada vez que se inicia un nuevo programa en una escuela o en el distrito, las necesidades de solicitudes de comunicación aumentarán", dijo Torres. "A mi departamento se le pedirá que no sólo comprenda una lengua extranjera, sino los aspectos educativos de lo que se comunica".

    CCSD emplea ahora secretarias bilingües en las escuelas que han sido formadas por OTIS.

    "Las poblaciones española, latina y brasileña en el Lowcountry siguen creciendo", explicó Torres. "Veo que seremos un grupo extremadamente productivo durante muchos años".

    "El Sr. Torres tiene un comportamiento amable y tranquilo que ayuda a reconfortar a las familias", añadió Rush. "Utiliza sus experiencias para orientar a otros nuevos en el campo de la traducción y la interpretación".

    Torres recuerda su vida y su carrera con orgullo y aprecio.

    "Lo mejor es que mi mujer ha compartido conmigo gran parte de esta vida", dice Torres. Estoy agradecido por ello. Lo único que siempre quise hacer es volar en ala delta y ser astronauta, pero está bien".