Standard Response Protocol (SRP)
CCSD adopted a safety response program known as the Standard Response Protocol (SRP) in January 2020. The SRP is a response framework that provides clear, consistent language and response actions for all staff, students, and first responders. The SRP is a program made available to school districts by The “I Love U Guys” Foundation and has been adopted by more than 100,000 schools.
Previously, CCSD used color codes to indicate emergency lockdown (Code Red), administrative lockdown (Code Yellow), or bomb threat evacuation (Code Green). The SRP eliminates the need to interpret codes by using plain language that can be quickly understood and put into action during an emergency.
The five different response protocols in the SRP are:
- Secure - Get inside. Lock outside doors. (Called when there is a threat or hazard outside of the school building.)
- Lockdown - Locks, lights, out of sight. (Called when there is a serious threat inside or immediately outside the building.)
- Evacuate - To the announced location. (This is used when there is a need to move students from one location to another, away from danger.)
- Shelter - Hazard and safety strategy. (Called when the need for personal protection is necessary, such as during a tornado or earthquake.)
- Hold – In your classroom or area, clear the halls. (There may be situations that require students to stay in their classroom.)
District staff members receive training on this protocol, but the plain language and clear instructions make it easy to understand even for those who have not been through training, such as campus visitors. The SRP does not change our current response procedures; it merely enhances them by adopting clear, consistent language used to initiate a particular response.
The "I Love U Guys" Foundation Website
CCSD Insights, News & Notes video regarding the SRP (interview with Executive Director of Security and Emergency Management, Michael Reidenbach)
Questions regarding the SRP can be sent to the Office of Security and Emergency Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.