The brand new Stono Park Elementary School
building was dedicated October 30, 2019 in a celebration attended by Charleston County School District (CCSD), constituent, and school officials, local dignitaries, as well as special guest, Live 5 News' anchor, Bill Sharpe whose father (William H. Sharpe) was the first principal of Stono Park, from 1952-1961.
The Honorable John Tecklenburg, Mayor of the City of Charleston; Dr. Gerrita Postlewait, Superintendent of Schools and Rev. Dr. Eric Mack, CCSD Board of Trustees Chairman were keynote speakers.
Stono Park was one of three Capital Programs opened in 2019-2020. The school was funded by a “Yes” vote of the Charleston County Education Sales and Use Tax Referendum of 2010 and 2014. The construction came in at budget and was completed on time.
Stono Park Elementary's scope included:
• Demolition of the previous facility and construction of a new building
• Scope: 75,000 sq. ft two-story school sits on 5 acres, and serves 500 students, grades K-5
• Project Budget: $27.3 million
• Opened: Fall 2019
• Architectural Firm: SGA Architecture
• Construction Management: Cumming
• General Contractor: J. E. Dunn Construction
Students from the Stono Park Choir performed at the event, which was followed by tours of the facility and light refreshments.