Freshmen Planning Checklist
- Keep up your grades and continue good study habits
- You must earn 5 total credits to be promoted to 10th grade; one must be English and one must be math
- Talk to your counselor about:
- Education plans past high school
- Taking college prep courses
- Readiness for Dual Enrollment
- Career Aspirations
- Completing the Commission on Higher Education Admission Requirements (CHE)
- Review general college admission requirements
- Participate in Job Shadow Opportunities
- Begin to think about and talk to your parents about a college financing plan
- Balance your school work with activities that help you explore your interests.
- Practice time management, learn new skills and contribute to your community
- Start your search for scholarships-some are available as early as your 8th & 9th grade years
- Talk to your child about his or her interest and help match those interests with a career and/or college major.
- Monitor your child’s grades and arrange tutoring if necessary.
- Attend Parent Information Sessions
- Attend your child’s annual Individual Graduation Plan conference
- Communicate with teachers regularly
- Sign up for Parent Portal access
- Plan ahead to see how much federal student aid your child might receive/FAFSA4caster @ https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/estimate
- Get tips on helping your child with homework and issues of early teen years at https://www2.ed.gov/parents/landing.jhtml