• Seizure Management


    If your child has seizures, it is important to communicate pertinent information regarding your child’s health status and care with your school nurse.  Your school nurse will develop an Individualized Healthcare Plan for your child.  This plan will be shared with school staff on a “need to know” basis.  You play a vital role in the process of developing a school plan that is best for your child. 

    Here is how you can help: 

    1. Make sure you complete the School Nurse Health Information Card (Emergency Card) for the school nurse that is completed with online registration and/or sent home in the beginning of the school year. Be sure to include:
      1. Your child’s health problems (seizures/seizure disorder/epilepsy)
      2. All possible emergency contact phone numbers– make sure to keep phone numbers current!
      3. All the medicine your child takes (even if he/she only takes it at home)
      4. The name and phone number of your child’s doctor
    2. Make sure a current Parent Information For Medications and Medical Procedures & Medication/Procedure Doctor’s Orders is on file with the school nurse for any medications that need to be given at school.
    3. Make sure your child follows their plan of care at home, taking their medication, and following their special diet (if ordered by their doctor).   Remember that most anti-seizure medicines won’t work until they reach a certain level in the blood, and that blood level of the medicine must be maintained.  It is very important to follow the doctor’s instructions carefully, especially what time of day and how much medicine your child should take.  Don’t let the prescription run out!  If you have trouble paying for your prescription, notify your school nurse to see if he or she can find a resource to help you.
    4. If your child has an implanted device to stimulate the vagus nerve, called a vagal nerve stimulator, for VNS therapy, please notify your school nurse.
    5. Some doctors may give you a very specific Emergency Plan for tonic/clonic type-seizures.  Make sure the school nurse has a copy.  This emergency plan may include the administration of rectal or nasal medication. If a medication is prescribed, the health care provider must complete the Epilepsy Medication Doctor's Orders form.

    Please feel free to contact your school nurse if you have any questions or concerns.