- Notify the teacher and nurse if your child has a special health care need. The health care provider must complete the Parent Information For Medications and Medical Procedures & Medication/Procedure Doctor’s Orders in order for the student to have medication at school and on field trips. Self-Medicate and Monitoring Doctor's Orders are only for life-saving medications/procedures such as insulin, asthma inhalers, and epi-pens.
- Over the Counter Medications (OTC) will not be provided on field trips without a completed Parent Information For Medications and Medical Procedures & Medication/Procedure Doctor’s Orders. Self-Medication Orders are not valid for over-the-counter medications. OTC medications should be provided by the parent in a manufacturer's container with the seal and label intact.
- Medication administration will be the responsibility of the trained designated CCSD employee.
- Contact your school nurse with any medication or medical procedures questions.
- Medications for After Hours/Overnight Field Trips and Parent Information
- At a minimum, the nurse should be advised of field trip plans FOUR WEEKS prior to the event. All field trips require preparation in order to meet the health care needs of all students attending field trips.
- Follow district policy regarding assisting students with routine medications while on the field trip.
- The school nurse will provide training for emergency medications/procedures if you have students who require them. (You may be asked to complete a Safe Schools module prior to your individualized training.)
- Only CCSD licensed nurses are allowed to administer/supervise insulin administration.
- Sign out medications with your school nurse (or designated CCSD employee) on the field trip medication sign out sheet.
- Over the Counter Medications (OTC) will not be provided on field trips without a completed doctor’s order form.
- Notify the school nurse if there are any staffing changes to the field trip.
School Nurse Responsibilities
- Remind the principal and teachers that the nurse should be informed about dates/times of field trips with a list of students attending, at least FOUR WEEKS in advance.
- Review field trip attendees in order to determine training needs.
- Provide appropriate training for emergency medications/procedures based on emergency action plans and document this training. Training documentation forms are found on the CCSD Nursing Services intranet site.
- Request that teachers complete Safe Schools online training as appropriate. School nurse should keep Safe Schools training documentation.
- Follow CCSD medication policy.