Gifted and Talented - Academic
Elizabeth McLaurin Uptegrove
Gifted & Talented | Magnet & Choice
75 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
843-402-7836 (p)843-937-6484 (p)
The CCSD Gifted and Talented Department serves students who are identified as ACADEMICALLY gifted and talented. If you have questions about the identification and service of students who are ARTISTICALLY gifted and talented, please visit the CCSD Visual and Performing Arts page.
NewsNomination TestingStudents in grades 3-10 who have NOT YET been identified as gifted, may be nominated for gifted identification testing. Parents, teachers, administrators, and students are encouraged to nominate students who demonstrate high academic achievement, performance, or potential. Testing will occur in the fall. Your child’s school will follow up with specific details for testing closer to the testing date. The nomination form closed Friday October 21, 2022.Secondary Nomination TestingThe nomination form for secondary testing closed September 30, 2022.The secondary testing window is October 3 - October 30, 2022.Elementary Nomination TestingThe nomination form for elementary testing closed October 21, 2022 @ 12:00.The secondary testing window is November 2 - November 30, 2022.
Important Notes about Gifted Identification
Students need to meet the criteria for gifted identification in 2 of the 3 Dimensions (A, B, or C). Once a child meets two dimensions, their identification will remain with them throughout their K-12 education in South Carolina public schools. Future non-qualifying scores will not impact their identification.
Gifted and Talented
Gifted and Talented fosters in each student a desire for excellence, compassion for others, and a sense of individual responsibility to self, the school, the community and a changing society.
How We Directly Support Schools
- Challenge and stimulate the Academically Gifted and Talented student.
- Assist in delivering a teaching approach that enriches and accelerates the learning of core content according to the state’s curriculum standards
- Provide on-going professional development in gifted and talented curriculum and teaching strategies
- Provide support (mentoring, PD) for teachers, administrators, parents, and the communities of CCSD
Our Core Services
- Identifying and placing all CCSD academically Gifted and Talented students in grades 3-12 according to the mandated specifications of the Education Improvement Act of South Carolina (Regulation 43-220)
- Providing each Gifted and Talented child opportunities for intellectual stimulation through group interaction with others of similar academic abilities and a curriculum of experiences and activities outside the limits of the regular classroom
- Empowering each gifted child to recognize and fully utilize his or her specific unique talents and to strive for excellence while contributing to self and others
Gifted and Talented Office
St. Andrews Campus
721 Wappoo Road
Charleston, SC 29407
Call us at (843) 402-7836. Office Fax: (843) 402-7835
Elizabeth Uptegrove, Gifted & Talented Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org | 843-937-6484
Karen Reed, Gifted & Talented Lead Teacher: Coaching & Compliance
Jennifer McDuffie, Gifted & Talented Lead Teacher: Technology & Communications
email@example.com | 843-402-7824
Flashette Johnson, Gifted and Talented Secondary Lead Teacher
firstname.lastname@example.org | 843-402-7877
Corrie Glover, Talent Development Lead Teacher
email@example.com | 843-402-7878