Gifted and Talented - Academic
Students in grades 2-9 who score at the 94%ile or above on Winter i-Ready or MAP testing (Reading OR Math) will meet the criteria for Dimension B in the Gifted and Talented Identification process. We anticipate that status notification letters will be distributed through PowerSchool email to families by the end of day on 2/16. These mid-year status updates could impact eligibility for the Performance Task Assessment and School Choice eligibility for Buist Academy.
Students who participate in the SAIL program in grades 3-5 will receive their SAIL Growth Report through PowerSchool email distribution on 2/6. Please see our parent resources page for more information.
Students in grades 2-5 who are partially identified as gifted and talented are eligible for the SC Performance Task Assessment that will be given at all elementary schools 2/20 - 3/8. Your child's school will communicate specific testing dates. Please see our parent resources page for more information.
Meet the Team
Gifted and Talented
Gifted and Talented fosters in each student a desire for excellence, compassion for others, and a sense of individual responsibility to self, the school, the community, and a changing society.
How We Directly Support Schools
- Challenge and stimulate the Academically Gifted and Talented student.
- Assist in delivering a teaching approach that enriches and accelerates the learning of core content according to the state’s curriculum standards.
- Provide on-going professional development in gifted and talented curriculum and teaching strategies.
- Provide support (mentoring, PD) for teachers, administrators, parents, and the communities of CCSD.
Our Core Services
- Identifying and placing all CCSD academically Gifted and Talented students in grades 3-12 according to the mandated specifications of the Education Improvement Act of South Carolina (Regulation 43-220).
- Providing each Gifted and Talented child opportunities for intellectual stimulation through group interaction with students of similar academic abilities and a curriculum of experiences and activities outside the limits of the regular classroom.
- Empowering each gifted child to recognize and fully utilize his or her specific unique talents and to strive for excellence while contributing to self and others.
Gifted and Talented Office
St. Andrews Campus
721 Wappoo Road
Charleston, SC 29407
Office Phone: 843-402-7836
Office Fax: 843-402-7835