Grades Pre-K4: myIGDIs (my Individual Growth and Development Indicators)
- myIGDIs is a formative assessment individually administered by the teacher to support the identification of preschool children requiring additional diagnostic assessment or levels of intervention in oral language, phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, and comprehension. This assessment can be used to measure developmental gains and inform instructional needs of individual children.
- More information:
Grade Kindergarten: KRA (Kindergarten Readiness Assessment)
- The KRA is a developmentally-appropriate instrument that measures a child's school readiness across multiple domains. Understanding a child's school readiness helps kindergarten teachers best meet the child's needs, and it helps schools, families, communities, and policymakers know how to best support young children as they enter the K-12 environment. The KRA determines each child's readiness level from an evaluation of four domains: Social Foundations, Language/Literacy, Mathematics, and Physical Well-Being. The KRA provides a snapshot of students' abilities at the beginning of the school year.
- More information: Kindergarten Readiness Assessment
Grades K-1: FastBridge
- The FastBridge earlyReading (meets the state mandated requirements for primary grades universal dyslexia screening) and earlyMath assessments are the district’s readiness assessments for Kindergarten and First grade students. FastBridge provides information on foundational skills, student growth, progress monitoring and proficiency.
- More information: FastBridge Universal Screening
Grade 2: CogAT (Cognitive Abilities Test) & IA (Iowa Assessments)
- CogAT and IA are used to identify students for Gifted and Talented programs. The identification of gifted and talented students is a multi-step process which consists of screening and referral, assessment of eligibility, and placement. The objective of the grade 2 testing program is to evaluate each student for the purpose of placement into a district gifted and talented program. More information: Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) and Iowa Assessments (IA) for Grade 2
Grades 2-8: MAP Growth (formerly Measures of Academic Progress)
- MAP Growth are 2nd-8th grade computer-adaptive interim assessments that measure growth, inform instruction for classroom differentiation, provide projected proficiency on high-stakes tests , evaluate programs, and develop and implement the curriculum.
- More information: MAP Growth
Grades 3-8: SC READY (South Carolina College and Career Ready Assessments)
- The SC READY are statewide assessments in English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics that will meet all of the requirements of Acts 155 and 200, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA), and the Assessments Peer Review guidance. All students in grades 3-8 are required to take the SC READY, except those who qualify for the South Carolina Alternate Assessment (SC-Alt). SC READY assessments are not timed, and both computer-based and paper-based testing will be available.
- More information:
Grades 4 & 6: SCPASS (South Carolina Palmetto Assessment of State Standards)
The SCPASS are statewide assessments in science. All students in grades 4 and 6 are required to take the SCPASS science, except those who qualify for the South Carolina Alternate Assessment (SC-Alt).
- More information:
High School Grades*: End-of-Course Examination Program (EOCEP)
All students who are enrolled in courses in which the academic standards corresponding to the EOCEP tests are taught, regardless of course name or number, must take the appropriate tests. The examinations, which count 20% of the students' final grade in each gateway or benchmark course, currently include Algebra 1, English 2, U.S. History and the Constitution, and Biology 1. All students must pass a high school credit course in science for which there is a state end-of-course assessment during their high school career. Currently, that test is the Biology 1 EOCEP test. examinations, which count 20% of the students' final grade in each gateway or benchmark course, currently include Algebra 1, English 2, U.S. History and the Constitution, and Biology 1.
- More Information:
*Note: Some advanced middle school students will qualify to take high school EOC courses and corresponding assessments during 7th or 8th grade.
High School Grades: College Entrance and Career Readiness Assessments
For purposes of this section, ‘eleventh grade students' means students in the third year of high school after their initial enrollment in ninth grade.
- Beginning in 2017-18, 11th-grade students now have the opportunity to choose which college assessment (ACT or SAT) they will take during the school day. Charleston County School District encourages all students to take at least one of these tests, as they are used for college admissions and merit-based scholarships.
- WIN Ready to Work (R2W) is a career readiness assessment administered to all eleventh grade students to determine student achievement in three key subjects: Applied Mathematics, Locating Information, and Reading for Information.
Grades K-12: ACCESS for ELLs
- ACCESS for ELLs is an assessment of English language proficiency for students who are classified as English language learners (ELLs). An Alternate ACCESS assessment is administered to ELL students who meet the criteria for alternate assessment that prevents their meaningful participation in the ACCESS for ELLs® assessment. More information: ACCESS for ELLs®
Grades 3-11: SC-ALT
- South Carolina Alternate Assessment is for students with significant cognitive disabilities who are assessed against alternate achievement standards as they are unable to participate in the general assessment program even with accommodations. More information: South Carolina Alternate Assessment
The Office of Assessment & Evaluation also supports schools in developing high-quality classroom assessments. CCSD's Assessment Development Guide outlines best practices in classroom assessment development.
District Test Coordinators:
MAP & FastBridge: