CCSD COVID-19 Dashboard
To report any issues or COVID-19 safety violations
Call: 843-937-6301Reminder to Parents/GuardiansPlease help our schools safe by monitoring your child for any symptoms that could be related to COVID-19, and do not send them to school if they are symptomatic or if they have been close contact with a COVID-positive person outside of school. The most common symptoms include new or worsening cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, and loss of taste and smell.Medical Researchers Give Opinion on In-School TransmissionA recent report compiled by a team of researchers from Duke University and the University of North Carolina found a very low rate of in-school COVID transmission in school districts in that state. "As the community rates took off, their plans and procedures were in place and they toed the line...and in fact, the worse things get in the community, paradoxically, the greater the advantage to be in a high compliance area like a school," said Dr. Daniel Benjamin, Duke School of Medicine and lead author of the report.
COVID-19 Notification Protocol
The following is a description of the CCSD parent/family notification protocol for positive COVID-19 cases in a school for the upcoming school year. (UPDATED 2/12/2021)
When a student or staff member (or any person physically in-person) in one of our schools has tested positive for COVID-19, that person will be required to stay out of school for at least 10 calendar days and will be directed to isolate. Our school health services personnel, in cooperation with DHEC will begin contract tracing to determine if there are individuals who have had “close contact” with the person who tested positive.
“Close contact” is defined by DHEC as “being within six (6) feet for 15 minutes or more to a COVID-19 case while contagious” either with or without face coverings. In classrooms where social distancing could not be maintained, all children and staff will be considered close contacts.
In scenarios where students are seated closer apart than six (6) feet, the students would not be considered close contacts when:
- Appropriate plexiglass is utilized, and
- Distance between students is at least three (3)feet apart, and
- The students are wearing cloth face coverings or face masks that cover the nose and mouth (the plexiglass does not serve as a substitute to mask-wearing).
*CCSD does not accept a 7-day quarantine after testing negative due to the increased risk of transmission to others.
Dependent on the findings, we will implement the following types of notification:
- Direct Notification for “Close Contact”: Anyone who has been in “close contact” with the COVID-19 positive individual during the time he/she was contagious must be excluded from school for 10-14 days after last contact. The parents of any student who is determined to have had “close contact” with a COVID-19 positive individual will be notified directly (same day) by school personnel through a phone call and an email from the school.
- “Not Close Contact”: Individuals in the school who are determined to NOT have been in close contact with a COVID positive person will NOT be notified unless it is determined to be necessary in consultation with DHEC. (See next bulleted item for change to this protocol for schools with elementary grades.)
- Additional Classroom Notification for Early Childhood, Primary, and Elementary Grade Classrooms (effective January 19, 2021): For students in schools with elementary grades (including early childhood and primary), schools will notify parents/guardians by email if a positive COVID-19 case has been reported in their child’s classroom. The notification will be done immediately following the identification of a COVID-positive case and close contacts. The notification will be done by email only. Teachers will be notified when there is a positive case in their classroom, but names will not be used.
- Additional Classroom Notification for Middle and High School Grade Classrooms (effective February 8, 2021): For students in schools with middle school grades, schools will notify parents/guardians by email if a positive COVID-19 case is reported in one of their classes or on one of their teams. The message will not identify the name of the class. The notification will be done immediately following the identification of a COVID-positive case and close contacts. The notification will be done by email only. Teachers will be notified when there is a positive case in their classroom, but names will not be used.
- School-Level and Broad Notification: When it is determined, in consultation with DHEC and/or health agency officials, that a school, group, team, etc. requires a special notification beyond the direct notification for close contact, the district and/or school will utilize phone calls, emails, or written notification to parents as appropriate and necessary.
- School and District Dashboard: CCSD will provide data updated daily showing the rolling number of COVID-19 positive cases (students and adults) on a school-by-school basis. This dashboard will be housed on the CCSD website and will provide the CCSD community a transparent view of the condition of each school relative to COVID-19.
Charleston County School District is committed to prioritizing the health and safety of students and employees. In all instances, we will follow the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control’s (DHEC) guidance for schools on COVID-19. We will provide all pertinent information that can be shared in order to inform parents, but we must also protect individual’s confidential information by not providing names or identifying information about a student or staff member.