School Choice in Charleston County
Each school-aged child in Charleston County is assigned to a neighborhood school based on grade level and home address. In addition, CCSD offers several other dynamic choices, including specialized programs, magnets, and charter schools.
Learn more about the types of choice options within CCSD by exploring this link where you will find information about each school, including a link to the individual school website.
- Countywide magnet
- Partial magnet
- Constituent magnet
- Montessori programs
Please note: Child Development applications for non-Montessori schools are not available online. Applications for Child Development will be available at schools and online beginning March 1, 2017.
School Choice - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
The Charleston County School District (CCSD) School Choice Application process for the 2017-2018 school year will open January 19, 2017.
The timeline below includes the dates, deadlines, and events related to this annual application process.
- January 19 - February 19, 2017 - Online applications available
- January 21, 2017 - Choice Fair at West Ashley High School, 2:00-6:00 p.m.
- February 20 - March 24, 2017 - Lotteries, auditions, testing, writing sample (AMHS)
- March 28, 2017 - Notification of acceptance
- March 28 - April 9, 2017 - Parents confirm acceptance
- By August 1, 2017 - Residency address confirmations must be received
- To access the site's parent dashboard, please visit the CCSD Smart Choice website and click on "login" or enter your login information in the "Already Applied?" box.
Registration will be required after a seat at a choice school is accepted.
Online Registration for the 2017-2018 school year opening date is coming soon. Please continue to visit this page for updates.
If you have questions concerning the online process, please contact the school for which you plan to register.
For general questions about School Choice, call 843-937-6406.