Pre-Register Today: The 2012 "Boyz to Gentlemen" Summit
PLEASE NOTE: Pre-registration for the 2012 “From Boyz to Gentlemen” summit, hosted by Charleston CountySchool District's (CCSD) Parent University, is now closed. The event has reached maximum capacity.
The third annual (and free) “From Boyz to Gentlemen: Raising Successful Sons in the 21st Century” event kicks off at 9 a.m. on Saturday, January 14 at West Ashley High School. The various presentations and workshops are focused on parents and boys of color in grades 1 through 12.
The Summit & Your Family
As in previous years, the event will offer a resource fair, designed to provide information to parents about community and faith-based programs for boys.
In addition, a panel consisting of male community leaders will again address issues including student achievement; the role of family, community and school in the development of boys of color; and strategies for raising successful young men. This year’s panel includes WCSC-TV 5 news anchor Mr. Raphael James; state representative and attorney Representative Bakari T. Sellers; The Citadel’s assistant dean Dr. Marcus Cox; CCSD's Innovation Zone associate superintendent Dr. James Winbush; CEO of YMCA of Greater Charleston Mr. Paul Stoney; Chief Master Sergeant Jose A. Lugo Santiago, Command Chief of the 628th Air Base Wing-Joint Base Charleston; and Reverend Robert Kennedy, Pastor of St. Peters AME Church and President of the Inter-denominational Ministerial Alliance.
Lunch will be provided by Piggly Wiggly, CCSD's partner for Parent University. Childcare is available for children ages 4-12.
What's New This Year?
This year’s summit features the nationally-renowned keynote speaker Stephen G. Peters, educator, author, and founder of the national Gentlemen’s Club Program implemented in schools across the country.
This year’s workshops for parents and boys were created based on feedback from parents and schools.
- “What’s On His Mind?”: (Audience: Parents); Mr. Kevin Smith, Assistant Principal – School of the Arts
- Boys of Color and the Justice System: (Audience: Parents); Ms. Terry Davenport, CEO/Founder of the Justice Academy USA
- Raising Successful Sons: Strategies for Hispanic Families: (Audience: Spanish-Speaking Parents); Dr. Eriberto Soto, Pastor – Park Circle Presbyterian Church
- “Navigating the 21st Century” Leadership Academies: (Audience: Students)
- Grades 1-5: Reverend Richie Pickering, Educator and Minister – Rock Hill, South Carolina
- Grades 6-8: Dr. Joseph Williams, Principal – ARMS Academy Morningside Middle School
- Grades 9-12: Mr. John Frasier, Community Leader & Radio Personality
Questions? Please call (843) 937-6578 for more information. We hope to see you Saturday!