School Choice in Charleston County
Each school-aged child in Charleston County is assigned to a neighborhood school based on grade level and home address. In addition, CCSD offers several other dynamic choices, including specialized programs, magnets, and charter schools.
Learn more about the types of choice options within CCSD by exploring the links below, where you will find information about each school, including a link to the individual school website.
- School Choice - Frequently Asked Questions (En Espanol)
- Countywide admissions criteria magnet
- Countywide magnet
- Partial magnet
- Constituent magnet
- Montessori Programs
Application Submission Updates
CCSD families, the Choice Schools Application will be open from Wednesday, July 13, 2016 until Friday, July 29, 2016.
The Choice Schools Application is open only to the following schools, with limited seating:
- Burke Advance Studies Academy (9-12 grades available)
- Burke Lowcountry Tech Academy (9-12 grades available)
- Carolina Voyager Charter School (K-4 grades available)
- Charleston Progressive Academy (K-5 grades available)
- E.B. Ellington School of Advanced Studies (K-4 grades available)
- Garrett Academy (9th grade available)
- Malcolm C. Hursey Elementary/Montessori (PreK-6 grades available)
- Military Magnet Academy (6-12 grades available)
- Mitchell Elementary School (K-4 grades available)
- Murray-LaSaine Elementary/Montessori (3-6 grades available)
- West Ashley Advanced Studies Magnet (6-8 grades available)
To learn more about one of these schools, please see the "Our Choice Schools" section below.
For first-time application submission or to add an additional choice application, access this Parent Refrence Guide for detailed instructions.
To access the site's parent dashboard, please visit the CCSD Smart Choice website and click on "login" or enter your login information in the "Already Applied?" box.
- Wednesday, July 13, 2016: Choice Application will reopen at 10:00 a.m.
- Friday, July 29, 2016: Choice Applicatoin will close at 11:59 p.m.
- By Aug. 1, 2016 - Residency confirmations must be submitted.
Our Choice Schools
The schools included in the magnet/ choice options following this timeline include:
Countywide Admissions Criteria Magnet Schools
Countywide Magnet Schools
- Burke High School Advanced Placement Academy
- Charleston Progressive Academy
- Garrett Academy of Technology
- Military Magnet Academy
- Burke Lowcountry Tech Academy
Constituent Magnet School
Partial Magnet Schools
- Advanced Studies Magnet - West Ashley
- C.E. Williams Middle (change from Constituent to Partial Magnet)
- E.B. Ellington School of Advanced Studies
- Haut Gap Middle Advanced Studies Magnet
- James B. Edwards Elementary
- Jennie Moore Elementary (change from Constituent to Partial Magnet)
- Laing Middle
- Memminger Elementary
- Mitchell Math & Science Elementary
- North Charleston Creative Arts Elementary
- St. Andrew’s School for Math & Science
- Sullivan’s Island Elementary
- Zucker Middle (change from Constituent to Partial Magnet)
- James Simons Elementary
- Malcolm C. Hursey Elementary
- Montessori Community School
- Murray–LaSaine Elementary
Información Actual sobre la Entrega de Aplicaciones
Familias de CCSD, la Aplicación de Elección de Escuelas fue cerrada el 24 de Enero del 2016. Para acceder la página central de la entrega de aplicaciones seleccione aqui.
- A más tardar el 1ro de Agosto del 2016 - Verificación de Residencia debe ser entregada.
Para el año escolar 2016-2017, las escuela charter de CCSD (con la exepción de Carolina Voyager), se encargará de su propio proceso de aplicación. Para aprender más sobre las escuelas charter, por favor visite nuestra página "En Español" al final de está página. Luego escoja Programa Choice
Additional choice options are available for active duty military families enrolling their children in CCSD schools.
Links for Families Exploring School Choice
- Access the District's School Look-Up Tool
This tool allows users to type in a home address and determine the assigned neighborhood schools and magnet options.
- Registration Information
Learn what documents and steps are required to register a child for a CCSD school.
- Student Transfer Information
One additional option for school choice is to apply for student transfer to another neighborhood school. Families may apply to transfer a student to a non-magnet, non-ESEA school on a space available basis. (No transportation provided.)
School Choice Office