Lowcountry Literacy Roundtable
What is the Literacy Roundtable?
The Charleston Literacy Roundtable is a coordinating group and clearing-house that:
- Focuses community attention on the critical importance of high levels of literacy across the community
- Advocates for public policy that supports literacy for all
- Facilitates the eradication of illiteracy in our community through sustained awareness of the needs within our community
- Works to identify areas of unmet need and help reduce duplication of effort while also promoting improved levels of literacy through the development of community resources to meet identified needs
On Whom Does the Roundtable Focus Its Efforts?
The Roundtable has identified specific target populations so that appropriate tactics and strategies can be developed and applied to eradicate illiteracy in our community. These focus areas are:
- Pre-School Children
- School Age Children
- Adults and Targeted Populations Not Easily Categorized
What resources are available through the Literacy Roundtable?
The Charleston Literacy Roundtable consists of a group of dedicated indivduals who are associated with organizations that emphasize the importance of literacy.
- Charleston County Public Libary always has exciting programs! Be sure to check the CCPL monthly calendar every month to learn about new programs and activities at your neighborhood library.
- The library has teamed up with AmeriCorps Vistas to develop a directory of opportunities to increase Literacy in Charleston. Parents and educators are welcome to browse the resources and organizations that would like to have their program(s) added to the Literacy in Charleston directory can submit information at: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22E9ANQMJ7N
- MUSC- Family Literacy Program (printable flyer in english and spanish)
- South of Broadway Theatre Company - Check out this website to learn about programs such as 2nd Sunday at 7 where aspiring playwrights of all ages may see their work perfromed on stage and Summer in the City where students have the opportunity gain scholarships to reside at the famous Juilliard School Residence Hall.
Home Reading Awards
Applications for this school year are coming soon!
Particpants will be honored at an award ceremony and receive a special gift!
How Can I Learn More?
- To learn how you can be involved in this group and help promote literacy in our community, please call (843) 937-6506.