Parent University Programs
What is Parent University
By offering a series of free courses, this innovative program allows parents to access the tools they need to help their children reach their full otential. Courses offered during the 2013-2014 school year will include Credit Repair, Computer Technology and a Health and Wellness Summit. Register today to participate in a Parent University event close to you!
Parent University Goals
Throughout the country, school districts have implemented programs similar to Parent University in order to:
- Increase parental involvement and participation in schools,
- Allow parents an opportunity to network with professionals and other parents
- Help parents develop the skills needed to implement positive parenting practices,
- Empower parents to become effective advocates for their children,
- Strengthen home-school-community partnerships,
- Equip parents with the knowledge and awareness of resources available to them.
Parent University is Free
Parent University is free and offers a structured program for children ages 4 to 12. Parent University is made possible through strong partners including Title I Parent Advisory Council.
CANCELED - The Technology and Beyond session at Stall High School has been canceled, but please join us at James Simons where the event is still taking place, February 8 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
How Can I Get Involved?
It is not too late for you to get involved in the 2013-2014 Parent University programs!
For the first year, Parent University is being held at three sites: Burke High School, Stall High School, and St. John's High School. Parents are welcomed to attend courses at one or all locations. Registration is easy and can be completed 9:00 a.m. on-location the day of classes.
- Parent Tool Kit - Learn about the exciting nationwide parent resouces available online
Register for Parent University
- Register Online for Parent University
- Parent University Registration Form
- Parent University Registration Form in Spanish
If you would like to pre-register by phone, call your school's Parent Advocate or contact the Office of Community Outreach at 937-6462 or 937-6578.
Past Parent University Events
From Boyz to Gentlemen
This year's summit featured a keynote address from Mr. Byron V. Garrett, Chairman of the National Family Engagement Alliance. The event included parent and student workshops, panel presentations, a college bound resource fair, and much more!
Health and Wellness Summit at Stall High School
On Saturday, November 9th, 2013 Parent University hosted a Health and Wellness Summit at Stall High School. Summit included guest speakers, a structured program for children ages 4 to 12, door prizes, and lunch.
The Resource Fair Provided Free Services:
- Blood sugar-glucose screening
- Cholesterol screening
- Blood pressure checks
- BMI assessments
- Obama Health Care information
Please call us at 843-937-6578 if you have any questions about Parent University.