Parent University Programs
What is Parent University
By offering a series of free courses, this innovative program allows parents to access the tools they need to help their children reach their full potential. Courses in the 12-13 School Year will include Credit Repair, Computer Technology and a Wellness Fair. Register today to participate in a Parent University event close to you!
Throughout the country, school districts have implemented programs similar to Parent University in order to:
- Increase parental involvement and participation in schools,
- Allow parents an opportunity to network with professionals and other parents
- Help parents develop the skills needed to implement positive parenting practices,
- Empower parents to become effective advocates for their children,
- Strengthen home-school-community partnerships,
- Equip parents with the knowledge and awareness of resources available to them.
Parent University is free and offers a structured children’s program for children ages 4-12. Parent University is made possible due to strong partners including Piggly Wiggly.
How Can I Get Involved?
It's not too late for you to get involved in the 2012-2013 Parent University programs!
For the third year, Parent University is being held at two sites– Burke High School and Stall High School. Parents are welcomed to attend courses at either or both locations. Registration is easy and can be completed on-location the day of classes at 9 a.m.
- Calendar of 2012-2013 Parent University Dates
- Parent University Course Guide - Learn about the specifics and courses offered at each site.
- 2012-2013 Poster (English): Parent University
- 2012-2013 Poster (Spanish): Universidad Para Padres Parent University
- Registration Forms:
Upcoming Parent University Events
April Parent University Sessions-Technology
Join us in April as Parent University features topics in Technology. Sessions will include information on Cyber Safety, Enhancing Microsoft Skills, and much more...
Door prizes, a structured children's program and hot lunch sponsored by Piggly Wiggly will be included.
- Burke High School-April 20, 2013 (printable flyer)
- Stall High School-April 27, 2013 (printable flyer) (Spanish printable flyer)
Join us for both of these dates to gain the most knowledge!
FYI...The Final Parent University Celebration date has been changed to May 18th at Stall High School. Invitees will be receiving their invitations soon. We look forward to sharing this special day with Parent University participants who have committed to expanding their knowledge!
Past Parent University Events
On March 16, 2013, Stall High School housed the 2nd Annual Girls Summit. Parents and their daughters came from around the district to hear keynote speaker, Ashley Torrence and a performance my School of the Arts graduate, Faith Davis. It was an exciting day that include Youth and Parent panels that focused on issues facing young women in the 21st Century.
February 23, 2013 - The Parents Leading the Way conference was held at Stall High School. The event focused on Wellness and how it affects your students.
On January 12, 2013, the Office of Community Outreach hosted 4th Annual Boyz to Gentlemen summit. The event includes a college-bound resource fair, separate panel discussions for parents and students, a performance by Daniel Davis and much more. Over 600 parents and students joined us for this special event!
Please call us at (843) 937-6462 or (843) 937-6578 if you have any questions about Parent University.