Substitute Teacher Hiring FAQs
- What are the requirements to become a substitute teacher for Charleston County School District?
- Applicants must hold a minimum of an Associate's Degree.
- Applicants must be eligible for employment in the United States.
- Applicants must provide documentation of a clear TB test.
- How do I apply to become a Substitute Teacher?
- Submit an application using our online application.
- Can my information be pulled from my CCSD personnel file?
- All required documents must be uploaded through the online application.
- What is the next step after completing my application?
- After the application is reviewed for accuracy, then the Substitute Applicant (SA) will be contacted to be given the dates to attend the substitute workshop if the individual is not a certified teacher in South Carolina.
- Do I need to attend a substitute training?
- Applicants who hold a valid/current SC or out of state Teaching Certificate or who have completed an approved educators program are not required to attend the training. All others must be scheduled and attend the training.
- How do I check the status of my application?
- Applicants may call the employee information line at 843.937.6380 to check the status of a Substitute Teacher application.
- When will I receive my sub card?
- After workshop completion, the SA will return to 75 Calhoun St. to pick up their substitute card the following day and to be entered into the SEMS system. The SA will sign onto the system to begin receiving calls for sub positions.
- What is the rate of pay for a Substitute Teacher?
$61/day: All Substitute teachers except for employees who hold a valid/current SC Teacher Certificate
$75/day: Certified teachers in SC (Valid/Current Certification)
$7.25/hr: Substitute pay for teacher assistants
Substitute Teachers, who currently hold a VALID/CURRENT SOUTH CAROLINA TEACHING CERTIFICATE and substitute for ten or more consecutive days, in the same classroom, in a subject in which they are certified, may qualify for a daily pay rate of $125.00. A break in the consecutive days will result in the daily rate returning to $75.00 per day until substituting for ten more days. Requests for this qualification must be forwarded by the principal to the Associate Superintendent’s Office. Each case will be reviewed on an individual basis. A copy of your certification must be on file in the Personnel Services Department.
- Do I need to complete a Substitute Teacher application if I am a retired teacher?
- Yes, every applicant must complete an online application.
- Do I need to reapply if I did not substitute teach last year?
- If you are not a certified teacher in South Carolina and did not work a minimum of 10 days the previous school year, you will need to contact Mr. Young to be scheduled to attend the substitute teacher workshop again and for any additional information.
- What documentation do I need to provide in addition to my application?
- After your application is submitted, you will receive an email containing some required documents that you must complete as a part of the application process.
- Additionally, you will need to complete the following documents listed below that you will need to provide at your appointment with the Substitute Employment Technician at 75 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC. The Technician's hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 11:45 am.