Welcome to the webpage of CCSD's Child Find!
What Is Child Find?
Child Find is a component of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) that requires states to identify, locate, and evaluate all children with disabilities ages 3 to 21 who are in need of early intervention services or special education services.
It is a continuous process of public awareness activities, screening and evaluation to locate, identify, and refer children as early as possible.
How Do We Support Schools?
CCSD's Child Find offers a variety of services to families including:
- Free screenings
- Free appropriate evaluations
- Other supports
Who Can Refer Children to Child Find Services?
- Parents of preschool children who are not enrolled in a public school program and who have concerns about their child’s development
- Other care providers such as health care providers, community agencies, child care programs, and social workers with parental consent
- Parents of school-age children (ages 5 to 21) not enrolled in a public school program who suspect an educational disability
What is the Process?
- A review or screening of available information about the child is conducted.
- If the screening indicates the possibility of an educational disability, the child is evaluated in relevant areas with parental permission.
- If determined that the child is disabled and in need of special education services an individualized plan (either an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Individualized Service Plan) is developed depending on the child's age, disability, and educational needs.
What Is the Cost?
Assessments, evaluations, and all special education services which are determined to be necessary are provided free of charge.
What Services Are Available?
Services for eligible children may include but are not limited to specialized instruction, speech/language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, counseling, applied behavior analysis, and audiological services.
How Do I Access Child Find Services?
Appointments for preschoolers are available 4 days a week at assessment centers across CCSD. School age appointments are scheduled at the child’s home school following the receipt of the intake from the child find office.
Contact us to begin the process for your child!
- Call the Child Find intake office at (843) 958-2700.
- Fax a referral to (843) 577-6064.
- Email Charlotte Koster
- Child Find Brochure (English)
- Child Find Brochure (Spanish)
- Child Find Printable Poster (English)
- Child Find Printable Poster (Spanish)
- The Babynet System provides services to eligible children birth to 3 years of age. Visit the Babynet website.
- COMING SOON! - Preschool Intervention Programs/Peer Interest Form (3-4 year of age only)
- American Academy of Pediatrics offers health and developmental milestones for different stages, and developmental signs which may need further evaluation.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has materials on age-expected development on their website Learn the Signs. Act Early. Additional resources from CDC include Milestone Moments (PDF), a 42-page booklet that provides parents with information on how they can support their child's development from age 2 months to 5 years. A brochure to help track milestones is available in English and Spanish.
We would love to hear from you!
- By phone at (843) 958-2700
- By fax at (843) 577-6064
- Child Find Staff Directory
- Email Charlotte Koster