Department of Exceptional Children (DEC)
The Exceptional Children Department provides students, families and schools with the supports and assistance to ensure success for every student.
The mission of Exceptional Children Services (ECS) is to provide our students with a continuum of high quality education and related services that meets their unique needs and ensures that they gain the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to go to college, pursue 21st Century careers, and become independent and productive citizens.
All students receive a full continuum of services and a rigorous, high quality education that prepares them for success in college, careers, community life, and independent living.
Therefore, in CCSD, we believe all students must:
- Have access to equal and appropriate educational opportunities in safe, orderly general education settings in schools as close to home as possible;
- Be considered as general education students first;
- Be welcomed as unique individuals and integrated into the school community; and,
- Be provided high quality, rigorous and relevant instruction.
Additionally, we believe Exceptional Children Services must:
- Have strong collaborative leadership at all levels;
- Assess all children with disabilities to identify their educational needs;
- Be delivered by service providers that are knowledgeable in planning and implementing best practices and monitoring student progress;
- Prepare students with disabilities to be life-long learners;
- Be child-centered and individualized;
- Build a positive, collaborative relationship with the community;
- Support the families of our students with the necessary resources to ensure their children are successful; and,
- Celebrate the diversity and uniqueness of our children and their families.
How We Directly Support Schools
- Facilitate training on legal policies, procedures, programs, and practices for the education of exceptional children
- Offer extra supports, shared resources, parent training, and community outreach for exceptional children and their families
- Provide direct and explicit instructional assistance on research-based programs and strategies for teachers of exceptional children
Our Core Services
- Implementation of policies and procedures that comply with legal standards to ensure individual student protections and advocacy for the needs of exceptional children
- Development and implementation of evidence-based, high quality and effective education programs to improve outcomes for exceptional children
- Creation and strengthening of networks between schools, community partners, agencies, and other stakeholders that allow for strengthened partnerships with students and their families
- Section 504 Information
- Transition Services
- Parent Resources
Interim Assistant Executive Director