Parent Information for Students with Disabilities
The Department of Exceptional Children Services (DECS) provides information designed to assist parents, teachers and administrators working with students with learning and behavioral challenges.
How Can I Learn More?
- SC Parents Guide to Special Education
- Education Oversight Committee Website and Family-Friendly Standards: The Educational Oversight Committee has prepared helpful guides for parents. If you click on family friendly standards you will be able to click the grade your child is in and then you will see what your child will be learning and their will be many activities, books and web sites that will help you expose your child to the material they are studying in class in a variety of ways.
- Book List of Charleston County Public Library: Resources for Parents
- Transition Planning for Children Ages 13 to 21
Exceptional Children Extra: Parent Page Newsletters:
Each issue focuses on a topic related to parenting and student learning.
- A Parent's Guide to Section 504
- Tips for Supporting Literacy
- Helping Your Child with Homework
- Activities for School Breaks
- Preparing for Summer and the Next School Year
- Mental Illness and Improving Mental Health
- Disability Awareness & Planning for an IEP Meeting
- Transition Planning and The Art of Persuasion
Please contact DECS at (843) 937-6500 for more resources and information related to working with students with learning and behavioral challenges.